Monday, August 26, 2013

Run for the Gold 26.2K

08-17-13 Last year during the Olympics, a local running club set up the Run for the Golf. 26.2 metric marathon. We may not have the Olympics this year, but they decided to have the run anyway. 26.2K is 16.28 miles. That would be my longest distance so far!

We were up at 4:30 AM to get dressed and travel to the Train Depot in Frostburg. It was a chilly 52 degrees, but perfect running weather!!

There were only 80 people signed up for the race, so bib pick up went quickly. No packets of goodies.  The race was ONLY $10.!!!! There was ONE water/aid station at Mile 7.5.

On the bus we had the pre race safety meeting. Watch for wildlife, only one porta pot at the start, one at mile 5, one at mile 9, and some at the end. Only one aid station. (We knew this when we signed up!!) I took a hand held water bottle, and wore water pack on my back. I drink a lot when I run!

We reached the Train Station, and had to jog .6 miles down the trail to the start.
The horn sounded and we were off.
I dont like the way the water vest fits the front of me!!!
Amber and I always take a before and after picture, but we forgot until we were at mile 2! Already sweating, but still smiling! For the first three miles we would run .4 miles and walk .1  By mile 4 it was pretty noticeable climb so we did more walking. Mile 5 and 6 we power walked, we wanted to save our legs for the downhill after the aid station. We chatted, kept our minds busy with other things.  Miles 5, 6 ,and 7 were right around 14 minute miles. I thot that was pretty good for a 400 foot climb. At mile 7.5 we reached the Eastern Continental Divide.
AH refreshments. Cool water!!! Only had 4 pretzel sticks, water, one orange slice, and one oatmeal raisin power ball. This is painted on the inside of the small tunnel at the divide. I left the water pack at the aid station with hubby and son. It was downhill from here, and I figured we would be fine!
Anytime after I eat, I have to walk about 1/2 mile before I can run again. We tried running soon, and Amber ended up with horrible stomach cramps. We power walked some more. When we tried to run, my legs were heavy!! Exhausted!! I could feel every piece of thread in my capris.  We walked some more.
The wonderful cool air of the LONG tunnel! It was like an air conditioner. As we came to the other side, we saw a cameraman.
We had to run, how do you walk thru a picture in a race?? OH did that hurt! I thanked him for waiting for us, and told him we were the last ones.
The view as you leave the tunnel is absolutely amazing.
  AND the heat and humidity hit me like a ton of bricks. Took my breath away. I felt like I was chewing the air.
We continued on our trek.  Past the Mason Dixon Line.On down the mountain.
My Garmin would beep another mile, and I told Amber, only 4 miles to go!! At this point I kept repeating "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming." The chatting we did in the first half was pretty non existant now. Mile 14 and 15 stank!!! I had to stop several times to catch my breath. I was getting dizzy. I had to stop and put my head between my legs. Water tasted horrible. I was almost out, but I knew I had to keep drinking. My throat was sore.
At mile 15 1/2 I had to stop again, I told Amber to keep going. (I never did catch her again).
Finally, I made it to the turn off the trail and UP the switchbacks to the Train Station. It was only a 100 foot climb up the last half mile. BUT, it was a killer!!! I could see the finish line, but I couldn't breath. Another stop. AND there was my son, he ran down to meet me and push me across the finish line.
Water melon and pretzels never tasted so heavenly!!!

16.28 miles
15:00 ave pace
4:05.15
Longest run ever!!! Next year I will beat that time!! And I cant wait!!
And the best recovery ever, when youre dehydrated and exhausted?  Shower, compression socks, compression shorts and crawl in bed and take a LONG nap.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, what an accomplishment for both of you! You both look so thin, too, in the picture! Impressive! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible! That is HUGE for anyone. You two are in super good shape! This is a really wonderful story and you and daughter did this together! I love my mom-daughter fitness time! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your perseverance, strength and stamina. You completed what sounds like a poorly organized race. There should have been more volunteers and more fueling stations (every 3 miles) (just my opinion based on my limited experience)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are AWESOME!!! I thought about y'all during my run tonight when I was mentally whining over 3 miles. Awesome, just Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job !! What an inspiration you both are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really awesome!! Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thots and opinions!