Thursday, January 24, 2013

Homemade Larabars

Hello, Hello!
Today mom asked me to write up a blog post for her. This past week I have been making some homemade Larabars, not because I think by making them they are any healthier (because I use the same ingredients they use), but because they are cheaper. The recipe to make any kind of Larabar is pretty simple. It is around 1/2 of dried fruit and 1/2 of nuts. With this as a starting point you can mix and match flavors to make really whatever flavor you want. If you wanted to make a specific flavor there are recipes abounding on the web. The first one I tried was a simple one: raisins, dried dates, and almonds. The process is very simple:

1) assemble the supplies: here we have almonds, cashews, peanuts, dried blueberries, dried apricots, dried dates, and raisins

2) measure out your ingredients and blend the life out of them using a good blender or food processor 
3) once all the ingredients are pulverized pour them out onto a sheet of cling wrap or wax paper and form it into a large slab. Using the sides of the wax paper or another sheet press the concoction together with lots of force. The less pressure you apply, the less solid it becomes (and appears), the less likely it will stay together.
 

4) you have two options here: you can either cut them to the shape and size you want them to end up now OR you can stick them in the freezer for at least an hour and then cut them after they have set

5) ENJOY

Throughout this process I have learned a few things that you might find helpful. The thinner you spread the bars, the more they like to fall apart. If you want to, you can also roll smaller portions into balls so that you can make even more per batch. I have had a lot of trouble with getting these things to really stay together like the real deal. I have found a peanut butter cookie recipe that calls for 1 tbs of peanut butter and those bars stick together nicely. Don't be afraid to experiment with different fruits and nuts.

My mom's favorite recipe is:     Peanut Butter Cookie
1/2 c. dried pitted dates (about 10)           1/4 tsp cinnamon (I used a little more b/c I love this stuff)
1/4 c. cashews                                           1/4 c. peanuts
1 tbs peanut butter                                   optional: a small handful of chocolate chips :)

you can find other recipes at:
100 Days of Real Food
For The Mommas
Skinny Mom


And because you all loved my last post I will leave you with this

5 comments:

  1. i love larabars. i am going to have to try this. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I may have to try making my own bars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look good. I just might have to make me something for a change. A treat.
    Thanks for recipe.
    Take care Deb. Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Deb! I'll definitely use this when I try again (pinned it so I don't forget!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thots and opinions!