Saturday, January 5, 2013

Half Goofy Challenge

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive been trying to do this Challenge since September.
The Goofy Challenge is a Disney race.  The first day you run a Half Marathon and the second day you run a Marathon. GOOFY!!!!(I think that's an understatement)

Read. Write. Run. Mom held a fundraiser, The Virtual Half Goofy Challenge.  Run 10k the first day, and a Half Marathon the second day. (consecutive days) This was a fundraiser for the Leukemia Society.  That is a Foundation I will support anytime I can!! AND look at the medal!! Shes making them by hand!! I LOVE the purple bead! and the Hope ribbon.... LOVE!!!


Day one, January 4th, was pretty boring. Treadmill intervals. I repeated the Couch to 5K 3 times so that I could work on speed.

Day two, January 5th, was a mental challenge!!
The sand that ended up in our shoes.
I was with M almost every Saturday. Today was cold and I was NOT looking forward to this walk!! There was lots of snow and ice! BUT, I knew she would be waiting for me (buddy up for a walk, its great for getting your butt outta bed). So, I bundled up and off we went. Like I said, it was cold (22 degrees) The first 5 miles went by quickly. We talk ALOT, and all the sudden it got quiet, and we both said, "I dont want to do this today." "Lets call for backup and just go home.".
The snow under my feet felt like sand. Ever try to walk/run in sand? SO, we started playing the mental, "We're on a beach in Florida" game.

The sunrise over the ocean. 

The next big wave. To bad we forgot our surf board.
The beach comber
We saw the sunrise over the ocean, the beach comber cleaning up the beach and making those amazing rows in the sand. Huge waves (this snowbank was twice as tall as I am. We heard sea gulls, felt ocean breezes, and even saw an airplane flying overhead (we pretended it was advertising Joes Crab Shack on 14st street.)






Im so thankful to have a friend who drags me outta bed on a Saturday morning to go for a walk.


The walk ended up being 9.89 miles so I hopped on the treadmill to finish out the half marathon. MY LEGS and butt were so sore. Its amazing the muscles you tense up when youre trying to not fall on  the ice.

12 comments:

  1. Nicely done! I will count that as proof and pop your medal in the mail this week before I fly out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, that's a great 2 days you had. Im especially impressed by Day 2! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! That is a Great virtual race! And pretty cool you still get the race bling=) way to go 13.1 is a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a cool medal, congrats on getting it done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic days! You're doing so great. :) 2013 is off to a brilliant start :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang, you are hardcore. Snow, all that mileage...super-impressed, is what I am!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl you are amazing. I am just so proud of you. I wish you were here to be my personal trainer. I sure do.
    Take care Deb. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is awesome! Great job! You are inspiring :)

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job completing the Virtual Half Goofy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds pretty awesome! Congrats on completing it! What a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thots and opinions!