Tuesday, January 1, 2013

13 goals in 2013

Last year was the first time I had ever made New Years Resolutions. I made 44!! One for each year of my life. I didnt keep them all, but I dont feel like a failure!! I strived to do my best, and thats all I can ask of myself.

This post is VERY LONG... and if you make it to the end, you deserve a prize (I dont have one, but you deserve one!)

For 2013 I will joining Rebecca with Weight Wars and making 13 goals/challenges.











1. Goal/Challenge number one is to run faster. 
My current pace is around a 12.15.  I want to bring it to an 11.45.  To do this I am participating in several accountability groups.
1. Participating in the Shrinking Jeans Couch to 5K. Rather than learning to run, I am going to use it to increase my speed. The walk segments of the training will be at normal pace, and the run segments  will be at a faster pace. They have a facebook set up for anyone who wants to join for encouragement. You do NOT have to be participating in their challenge to like their page.
2. Run or Walk at least one mile every day. I did this when I first started running and it helped me improve much faster. AND maybe I can start a running streak like Erica at Life of a Running Mom. She has streaked for 368 day!! The run/walk one mile a day is hosted by Triandtru and run halfway around the world.
2. Goal/Challenge number two is to save money each month.
Every month save 30.00 towards Christmas. I had this goal in 2012. I didnt do it every month, but what I had saved, sure did help. SO, this year my goal is to do this every month.
3. Goal/Challenge number three is to compete in 13 races in 2013.
Jen and Jill  have posted a 13 in 2013 challenge. You can participate in 13 races of any distance. Races can be expensive, so they are holding 6 virtual races. They also have a facebook set  up as a support group.
There are several other virtual runs set up to help with this goal.  Laura is hosting the 5 by the 5th. (Do a 5K or 5 miler by the 5th of the month) January thru June.
Im also a Giraffe in The Chilly Challenge hosted by Team Running Escapes and The Purple Giraffe. We log our miles and the team with the most miles wins. The last Saturday of every month Rachel is hosting the Team Athena (heck yes, I am an Athena!!) virtual run.




4. Goal/Challenge number four is to get more sleep.
I need more sleep. I often go to bed after 1AM , and get up at 6:30AM.  My goal is to be in bed by 11PM EVERY NIGHT!!! If I really want to be healthier, weigh less, I need to have more sleep!!
5.  Goal/Challenge number five is to include more fruits and veggies in my diet. 
I dont have trouble with the fruits (usually) but there are some days when I have 0 veggies. Thats right, a big FAT ZERO!!! To do this I need to get back to packing my lunch every day!! I did that last summer and it was wonderful!! Lately, Ive been lazy and I grab and run. A bowl of cereal or an apple for lunch. Then I find myself grazing.
6. Goal/Challenge number six is to restart an exercise program.  Due to financial reasons I had to leave the gym. (It was 25 miles away, and I couldnt justify the gas and membership fees).  The Shrinking Jeans puts out a monthly workout calendar.  Print it out and do it as a cross training!!
7. Goal/Challenge number seven is to read my Bible more often.
 I  find myself reading Saturday night in preparation for Sunday School on Sunday, but Ive let my daily devotions slide. In February I want to find a podcast with a short daily devotion that I can do during my daily mile running.
8. Goal/Challenge number eight is to rework the family budget.
The last few years we have been living paycheck to paycheck, and we are spinning our wheels. Its like, ignore the problem, it will go away. WELL it doesnt. It snowballs!! So in March, I am going to tackle this project.
9.  Goal/Challenge number nine is to stop drinking diet coke for one month. 
This is self explanatory and this is the month of April.  Right now it seems so far away.
10. Goal/Challenge number ten is to stop purchasing cleaning products. 
NO I am not going on strike and I am NOT going to stop cleaning. My daughter has some allergies and gets headaches with some products. My husband has sensitive skin.  As my cleaning products are 'used up' I am trying to find 'green' alternatives. This is an ongoing challenge.  I love this blog  and have been using her recipes.
11. Goal/Challenge number eleven is organize my house!
We moved from a mobile home two and a half years ago, into our house. There are still boxes sitting around that need to be sorted, gone thru, pitched. We were going thru stuff before we moved, but the electric company turned off the electric at the trailer two weeks early. So rather than go thru stuff there, we had to move it to the house with the intention of going thru it here. WELL.... there are corners that have stacks of boxes... THEY need to go. As a start Ill go some quick organizations of each room. This was a challenge I saw from Christie O of average moms wear capes.
January: Bathroom
February: Dining Room
March: My bedroom
April and May: Living Room... this has stuff from my church office and our personal office and the most stuff, so it gets two months.
June: Outside. I love flowers and playing in the dirt. There will be no inside decluttering!!!
July: Daughters bedroom
August: Kitchen
September:Attic
October: Basement (this is mostly my husbands stuff)
November: Garage (mostly hubbys stuff)
December: Middle sons bedroom
12. Goal/Challenge number twelve is to lose weight. 
This is a challenge for every month!! I have restarted my My Fitness Pal account. I dont know why I have such a hard time tracking. It has been an amazing help in the past, but for some reason....

13. Goal/Challenge number thirteen is... this is to be something big. Something we wouldnt normally do. I need to think about this one a few more days.....




6 comments:

  1. Love this idea. I am going to work on mine as well. Some of yours will be on my list. Thanx!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, it didn't matter you didn't make the full 650, you tired and you did awesome and your name is in my drawing.
    Second, I love your goals/challenges. You can do them. I know my goal of 1500 miles is a lot but I added biking to this years challenge and since I am going to start leaving my suburban at the bus garage and ride to Kim's or anywhere around Crosby I think I'll be able to get 40 miles in a week while it's nice and then 20 or so walking/running at the gym when it's not.
    Good luck and thank you for sharing. I so love stopping by and seeing what you have up your sleeve.
    Take care my friend and God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you are in this challenge. You are so inspirational and helpful. Here's to making 2013 the best year ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such great goals to aim for, Debby! You can do it! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome goals.!! and mindset!! Sounds great! Look forward to watching your progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are wonderful goals for the year! I hope 2013 is a really successful year for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thots and opinions!