Thursday, October 11, 2012

10K PR But still dead last

Last week I was asked if I wanted to run a 10K for free. UM YES!!! That made two for this past weekend. A first for me.
I learned a lot this weekend. Saturday I learned that local races aren't as intimidating as I made them out to be.
Sunday I learned that being last is ok. Its the one place I never ever wanted to be. EVER. Again, Im so much better at giving advice than taking it!! I kept thinking about this
The 5K and 10K started out together. I was with a whole bunch of people!! I was with a lady who was my pace and I was loving it!! My IPOD fell off my shorts and I had to stop to reattach it, so I feel a little behind her. She turned around at the 5K turnaround. All the sudden I was totally by myself. TOTALLY!!!  All alone. No one in front of me, no one behind me. Around mile 2.5 I heard a car behind me, going VERY SLOWLY!! I looked over my shoulder and recognized THE CAR!! I saw it at the start line, It had a huge sign on the side that said, "10K END of RACE". My heart sank. I was last! Totally last, and this car was announcing it to the whole city. Everyone saw me. Of course miles 3 to 5 were an out an back, and everyone coming back saw me with THE CAR.  A few people waved and shouted encouragement, I wanted the pavement to swallow me up. At mile 4 I saw a man in front of me, and I felt some relief. He wasn't that far away. At the turnaround I hollered over to her that I was sorry!! And she was so very nice!!! She encouraged me and told me not give up. At one point I wanted to stop and walk, but I didnt want to do it with her back there!! SO she kept me going!! Then at mile 5 she pulled up beside me and said another runner from the marathon had been hit by a car and she had to go. In a way I was relieved, but I also realized I didnt push myself quite as hard.

It was little cold at the start!! My mantra, follow the blue line, follow the blue line, follow the blue line!! 
My husband the driver, encourager, and picture takerer. He drove to different intersections and snapped some pictures. It was nice to have him along!! 
I spotted the finish line!!
This time I did a lot of stretching. Usually I do the normal leg stretches, but this time I laid on the ground and did some hip stretches too!! Stretches and sleep make for great recovery!
I could tell that I wasnt at my best. Races on back to back days is a new one for me. BUT, I learned a lot, and wouldnt change it!  




5 comments:

  1. I think you did awesome. I would love to have your pace time. Keep up the great work and stay focused!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to stick with it Deb! You did great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is my problem with 10Ks when there is also a 5K - it feels like 99% of the runners do the 5K and all of a sudden, you're alone out there. I've been there - good on ya for sticking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job with the 10K Deb and I promise that in a larger race you would have had several people behind you. Way to hang in there and finish strong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so very, very, VERY proud of you Deb. You went and did it and finished. That is what this is all about. Yes speed and placing is wonderful but getting out there and doing it, well you should be proud of you too.
    I miss my running but it's not possible. I miss the races but my area isn't having any this fall. They've gone to other activities instead like family night and disc golf type of things.
    If you or me lived closer I would love to jog beside you until you left me in the dust.
    Take care Deb and again girl, I am very proud of you! Blessings my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thots and opinions!