Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Labor Day Virtual

Laura from Mommy Run Fast hosted a 5 mile or 10 mile virtual walk/run.

I did both the 5 miles and the 10 mile.
On Thursday, my son had a softball game in town, so I finally had a chance for some new scenery.
I strapped on my Garmin and set out. It promptly DIED!!!

I started out on a VERY windy curvy road!! I had to hop to the 'wrong side' many times! I was glad to see a turn off around this corner! I found some very old buildings. When I was in our Church Youth Group, we were on a hay ride and got caught in a torrential down pour. I remember pulling underneath this old grain bin.


I did the 10 mile yesterday, Labor Day. IT WAS HUMID!!! Oh did I feel horrible!! At mile one I was drenched!!  I decided to forgo my 'run all 10 miles' and do intervals!! This was the first time I did this route and by mile two I was exhausted. What the heck!!! My legs hurt, it was hard to breathe.


 I live in the middle of nowhere, so my runs are always in the country. Mile 3 brought me here, Up the hill? or down the hill? I had already mapped out 10 miles going up the hill. So I trudged on up the hill.


Amish work horses even had Labor day off.
Further down the road I saw two table fulls of Amish ladies canning/freezing corn. I wanted to snap a picture, but I know they dont like that, so to keep the peace, I kept going.

I finally made it to mile 5 and was so excited to get my hand held refilled. (I have a credit account here so that I dont have to carry change with me when I run) I literally cried when I read this sign.

One of the families from our church live down the road, so I crawled my way to their house, and BEGGED for some water. I downed 10 oz of water and they graciously filled me up.  I ate one of my Peanut Butter Gus, and was on my way.



The run back home went a lot easier. When I put my information in Garmin.com I realized that my first 5 miles were ALL UP HILL!!!

When I finally made it home I had three more glasses of water and a delicious strawberry, banana, peanut butter smoothie.  I showered, put on compression wear, and took a nap!! Woke up for supper, and was in bed by 9:00. I dont remember the last time I was so exhausted!




8 comments:

  1. 10 miles!!!! That is so awesome girl! I can't barely manage 5 and you do 10. Very inspiring! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, both races- great job!! The heat really wears me out after a long run, too... much more so than other times of the year. I love the pics of the Amish horses! I grew up not far from Amish country in PA. :) Thanks so much for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did awesome and to keep going and going, I am proud of you Deb. I did a walk/jog while camping this weekend. Really I did 3 but 2 were normal 3 miles and my long one was 5.5 miles. It was awesome and felt good doing healthy stuff and still enjoying camping.
    You keep going Deb. You inspire me to going further then ever.
    Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to push through, Debby!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job! That's a long way to run uphill!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is definitely inspiring! Beautiful pics as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a terrific workout! Yes, hard, but look how strong you REALLY are!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thots and opinions!