Friday, April 27, 2012

I think I can

Todays trot is in honor of Julie. She blogs at Healthy Wealthy and Wise:NOT but learning. She turned 50 this week!! Thankyou for hosting this Julie!!! Youre a wonderful woman, and I wish you a blessed birthday. 

AND in honor of Team A.L.I.
Suz and Allen from Cows and Lasers and Everything Else are rasing money for March of Dimes. This is a picture of their neice Ali who was born prematurely. According to the March of Dimes website, every year more than half a million babies are born prematurely. Will you help fight for those who can't?




Next Sunday is The Frederick Half Marathon. Before today the longest intervals Ive completed was 10 miles. Tuesday was going to be my last long run, before 'tapering'. Tuesday we were dealing with slush created by this freak storm !!!!!!  SO, needless to say, I went to the gym and lifted weights instead of running

All week, in the back of my mind, I was doubting myself. So last night I mapped out a 13.1 course. Today at noon, I took off. I walked the hills (we have lots of them in western PA!!!) Before I left, I texted my husband and told him my route (our agreement any time I run alone)

For the first time in my training, I used my Ipod. I was amazed at how much it helped me!!! I think Ill take it next Sunday!! 
I ordered some Peanut Butter Gu and Chocolate Gu, to try, (but it didnt come in time for todays run) So I dont know how my stomach will react to it. But its peanut butter and chocolate. MY TWO FAVORITE food groups!!!



At mile 7 my Ipod died. (It was dead this morning, so I knew there was a good chance!)
At mile 8 my legs were really heavy!! I wondered why in the world I was doing this!! BUT, to get back home, I had to continue on!!
At mile 9 I realized that my legs werent hurting anymore. I wasnt sure if I had lost my mind, or if they really were feeling good!!
I was home at mile 12.2..... WHAT !?!?!?!? My Garmin connect map, said it would be 13.1!!! BUT, I was home, and I was not going to go back up that hill to do some more running to come up with more mileage!!
My time? 2:52.50  pace 14.1.............. There is a time limit on the half marathon. 3 1/5 hours. Todays run proved to me that I CAN DO IT!! (altho, the webpage says that you need to keep a 14 minute pace, BUT 3.5 hours is a 16 minute pace)  SO, Im a bit confused about that one, and I sent an email)

When I got home, I stretched and then texted my husband that I was home, and told him I was going to eat a bowl of peanut butter for my recovery!! (I didnt really do that. ALTHO I did use and extra Tablespoon in my smoothie!!! 





5 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Congrats! You are so ready and good job letting the hubby know your route:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! You are amazing. THAT is such a loooong walk and I wouldn't even think of trying it. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WooHooHoo! YOU GO GIRL! Amazing! Wonderful! Super! I'm just so very, very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, great job!!! You are ready for your half!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thots and opinions!