Saturday, March 31, 2012

Its not a Rutabaga!!

Oh the embarrasment!!!


SO for my new to me vegetable, I went to the store and bought my purple veggie with the intention of making this recipe, Rutabaga fries.   Today is new veggie day. I pulled it out of the bag and viola ...................... WHAT this is an eggplant, not a rutabaga. See its even printed on the tag. DUH!!!


What does this tell you about my week. BUSY!!
Not thinking!!!
Absent minded?!?!
Yep all the above!!

OK. change of plans. Ive never had an eggplant either. SO, ok. what do I do with THIS purple veggie? I cut off the top. Looks a lot like a squash. I LOVE grilled squash!!! Feels kinda spongey.


So I peeled it, Cut it up, Tossed in some vegetable oil (MY EVOO IS GONE) and sprinkled with some sea salt. Popped it in the oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes each side.

Result: They were actuallly very good!! Should have been baked a few more minutes on each side.

Next week: Rutabaga!!


5 comments:

  1. Oh how funny! Way to make the most of the situation. I love eggplant. I use it for sandwiches, and "crust" for mini pizzas, and as a patty for when I'd normally have burgers. :) I'm glad you liked it. It's a lovely veg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had eggplant either. It just looks too weird. But this looks good. Will have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of a rutabaga, but I love, love, love eggplant!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thots and opinions!